Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Our Natural Hair Nation Presents: Celebrity Hair Q&A with Country Music Star - Rissi Palmer!



Free to be me. That is a slogan that fits Rissi Palmer to a tee! Her incredible, soulful voice represents us well in the genre of County music and, her bold Natural hair represents us well across the Nation. Our Natural Hair Nation recently sat down with Rissi to chat with her about how she embraces the freedom of her Natural Hair.


ONHN:
How long have you been wearing your hair natural?

My big chop happened when I was 17, two days after I graduated high school. Although I hadn't had a relaxer for two years, I was putting my hair through hell by flat ironing it everyday. I was wearing it curly but it was extremely dry and damaged and I would have to use a tiny curling iron to make the more damaged pieces look like the rest of it. I remember walking into the salon and giving my hairdresser a picture of Halle Berry with her signature short cut. After trying to talk me out of cutting my below shoulder length hair, she took the scissors out and went to task. Everyone was shocked (including me), but it gave me a fresh start and I've been completely natural ever since.

ONHN: How does wearing your Natural hair make you feel?

It makes me feel free. I can encounter pretty much any type of weather and my hair will look exactly the same :-) I can get up and go whenever I want to.

ONHN: Do you feel the same,emotionally, as compared to wearing chemically straight styles?

I like being able to change up the style but I don't feel like me when I wear my hair straight. It’s funny how a hair style can become so much a part of your personality but my natural curls are definitely a part of what makes me me.

ONHN: What type of men were attracted to you with your chemically straight hair- how has that changed since going natural?

When I was wearing straight hair I blended into the sea of black women who wear straight hair, but walking into a room with a big curly fro definitely makes you stand out. Men typically want to know if it’s really my hair/texture lol. My fiance' has told me that he really appreciates the fact that I have embraced what God gave me.

ONHN: How do other black women react to your hair?

Black Women are extremely complimentary, which I definitely appreciate. I get asked a lot about what products I use. I love the fact that black hair can be so versatile and black women aren't afraid to make bold statements with their hair.

ONHN: How do Women of other cultures react to your bold hair?

This question made me think about the scene in "Good Hair" when the actress talks about white women touching her hair. I've had that experience a few times. Most of the time they are pretty complimentary about it.

ONHN: Do you feel more beautiful with chemically straight or natural hair?

Honestly, I love my natural curls and feel most confident and beautiful with them.

ONHN: What texture hair do you have 3a/b tell us about your hair heritage.

I have absolutely no idea about those terms, LOL. But I can tell you that I’m black with a dash of native American and Irish/English

ONHN: What products do you use?

My fiance', who is what I call a granola bar lol, is trying to make me go with more natural products, so I'm in the midst of changing up my products but the following is what I have been using for years and what has worked best for me:
Neutrogena Triple Moisture Shampoo & Conditioner
Kemi Oyl
L'Oreal Studio Line Springing Curls Mousse


ONHN: What is your hair routine?
I wash my hair every other day to keep from drying it out and most of the time I actually like the way day old hair looks over freshly washed. The curls are more relaxed. When it’s extra humid, I'll opt to just condition (co-wash) instead of washing and conditioning.

Here is my routine on a wash and condition day:
I wash my hair and then immediately put the conditioner on and let it sit while I take a shower. At the end of my shower I comb the conditioner through my hair and rinse. I then twist the excess water out of my hair and very lightly pat the ends of my hair to remove any excess water left. I then use a silver dollar size of Kemi oil and rub it through my damp hair. Then I typically use about three handfuls of L'Oreal Studio Line Springing Curls Mousse. Then I just let it air dry. Because Kemi Oyl and the mousse are so light, your hair is not sticky or hard. Those two products simply prevent frizz and add moisture and shine.

Because the Neutrogena Triple Moisture Conditioner is so thick, I don't really deep condition (although I probably should). I get my hair trimmed every three months.

ONHN: Also, do you use color on your hair?

I do not color my hair right now but I have definitely dabbled in the past. I have had fire engine red, platinum blonde, and pitch black hair in the past. I don't color now because of the horrible experiences I've had, i.e. hair falling out, my texture becoming spongy, but I am considering doing some highlights in the front. The jury is still out...

ONHN:
Please bring us up to speed on your upcoming project.

I'm actually a free agent now,:-)and, I’m currently working on a new project. This album will definitely have a more singer /songwriter feel, be a lot more soulful and, will talk some about my upcoming marriage :-). I feel freer to explore my artistry right now and I'm excited about this project!

ONHN: Finally, what advice would you give to someone who was thinking about going natural?

It’s definitely a process to make the transition. Be prepared to try A LOT of products to find the ones that work for you. Textures and curl patterns vary so what works for me may not work for you. It took me YEARS to get it together but I did get it together :-)

Most importantly, just know that natural hair is beautiful in all forms and yes, you are making a statement with your hair, a healthy and proud statement.


Check out Rissi Palmer in the video for her single; No Air.

No comments:

Post a Comment